Absolutely not. Progressivism isn’t the solution; it’s the latest manifestation of the problem that had threatened freedom everywhere. Progressivism in America developed in the years after the Civil War on the false belief that contemporary society was too complex to be governed by the principles of the Revolutionary Era. It seeks to completely undo the foundational beliefs upon which our freedoms were built:
- “All men are created equal and endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights” was deemed patently untrue. Progressives lumped people into groups and determined that “group rights” ought to be the rule rather than individual rights.
- The Constitution is no longer a legally binding document that means what it says but rather a “living” document that must be interpreted in light of current events.
- Rights should be extended to (or withheld from) labeled groups of Americans by an elite band of experts who would operate outside the restrictions of legislation or the constitution…in other words, unrestrained by the people, most of whom are too stupid to know what’s best for them. Woodrow Wilson, prior to becoming president described his reimagined systems by writing, “the functions of government are in a very real sense independent of legislation, and even constitutions.”
Results of Progressivism:
This philosophy has led to the establishment of a fourth branch of government – a branch of all powerful Federal agencies composed of unelected, unaccountable bureaucrats, posing as these elite experts. Over time, the bureaucracy will usurp the will of the American people and the whole concept of self-government will be lost and we will once again be subjects of an all-powerful ruling elite.
“[These] agencies typically exercise all three constitutionally divided powers within a single bureaucratic body: That is, agencies legislate through delegated rulemaking authority; investigate, execute, and enforce such rules; and apply, interpret, and enforce compliance with such rules.” (Wikipedia)
- Progressivism’s pattern of conquest:
- Starts with culture wars that pit us against one another — people group vs people group. Blacks vs whites, rich vs poor, immigrants vs citizens, blue states vs red.
- Statism: more power and control given to Progressive government to “solve” the conflicts they instigated.
- A ‘Deep State’ develops an enforcement wing because Progressive oppression will be so unpopular to the American people in practice, that they must insulate the state from overthrow by adding more unelected bureaucrats, increasing taxes, building walls around the Capitol, weaponizing investigatory agencies like the FBI and CIA, and finally stealing elections.
- Once firmly entrenched, Progressives force Socialism upon the populace. They systematize control over people by offering enforced ‘equality’ at the expense of freedom
- Socialism is so opposed to human nature that the people under it revolt. More totalitarian tendencies are needed to enforce it thus fascism develops. No longer are men subject to law, but the law is the determined by the whims of men
- Finally, communism descends like a dark cloud over America bringing a total loss of freedom under an all-powerful bureaucracy.
Nazism is the most recent example of the ‘glories’ of Progressivism. As Franklin Roosevelt described it, “[The rule of the Axis Powers] is not a union of ordinary, self-respecting men and women to protect themselves and their dignity from oppression. It is an unholy alliance of power and pelf (dishonestly acquired money) to dominate and enslave the human race.” Nazism used what we call today ‘cancel culture’ to end free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly, and freedom of the press. It is the Progressive Democrats, not the Conservative Republicans who have an insatiable hunger to end the Constitutional rights of Americans.
In short, Progressivism is the gateway drug to Communism or Fascism. The underlying philosophy of all three is that that the individual has no rights, and that their actual rights are determined by the class into which they are born. All three spring from an atheistic worldview. All three believe themselves superior to God for the management of the people. Only an all-powerful, all-knowing dictator or oligarch is qualified to enforce social order; average people under the conviction of God cannot be trusted to govern themselves. All three take from those who have and give it to those who have not, all while keeping most of it for themselves and their cronies.
For generations, America stood as a bulwark against Communism. We won the Cold War for many reasons but the primary reason was that the Soviet Union was built on a lie. President Ronald Reagan put it best when he said, “I have seen the rise of Fascism and Communism…but both theories fail. Both deny those God-given liberties that are the inalienable right of each person on this planet; indeed they deny the existence of God.”
Only a nation willing to submit to the moral code of the Bible can survive as a self-governing republic. Without the moral and religious pillars of Christianity providing structure and self-control to the people and the culture, a system of self-government cannot survive.